Bloodvelds are slayer monsters which may be assigned to you as a slayer task by Chaeldar, Vannaka, Nieve or Duradel. They use their long tongues to attack you and you need a Slayer Level 50 in order to have a shot at killing them. Despite being a kind of demon, Bloodvelds are immune to all the Demonbane weapons. In addition to regular bloodvelds, the game also features the stronger and more powerful mutated Bloodvelds.
Regular Bloodvelds are found in the following locations:
- Stronghold Slayer Cave
- 2nd Floor, Slayer Tower
- Basement, Slayer Tower
- Meiyerditch Laboratories
- God Wars Dungeon
- Wilderness God Wars Dungeon
Mutated Bloodvelds can be found in
- The Catacombs of Kourend
- The Iorweth Dungeon.
Regular as well as Mutated Bloodvelds attack with magic based melee and are fairly accurate in combat. One thing to note is that despite their melee attacks, it is your magic defence as opposed to melee defence that determines the accuracy of their attacks. It is a good idea to bring high magic defence armor like dragonhide to shield yourself from their attacks. However, if you intend to use Prayer, you should still pray melee instead of magic. Bloodvelds have high health and low maximum hit making them a good choice for not only slaying but also training purposes. Mutated Bloodvelds have a high attack level and they cause damage very frequently. They also provide better experience than the regular ones.
It is possible to safespot Regular as well as Mutated Bloodvelds to prevent them from retaliating to your attacks.
Regular bloodvelds can be safespotted at the following locations
- Behind the chair on the northeast corner of the center room inside the Slayer Tower.
- Next to the armor stands and wardrobes around the walls of the center room.
- In the north-west corner of the basement by standing between the chest, chair, shelves and the broken table.
- In the Stronghold Slayer Cave, they can be safespotted in the north-east section of the bloodveld area while using a dwarf multicannon.
- Another spot in the Stronghold Slayer Cave is the east room, east of a pillar and north of some rocks
- They can also be safespotted in the God Wars dungeon behind the piles of bricks that is north-east of the exit rope. However, you must possess a Saradomin item and a Zamorak item in order to use this safespot.
- There is another safespot if you go further north-east just behind the rock formations on the coast. This safespot only requires a Zamorak item
Mutated Bloodvelds can similarly be safespotted in the Catacombs of Kourend and the Iorweth Dungeon. However, you can also wear Prayer equipment while using the protect from Melee. Alternatively, you can teleport back and forth between an altar and the Catacombs.
You should bring Runes and staves to use for alchemy spells as bloodvelds frequently drop fairly decent items. These items include bones, fire runes and blood runes. They also sometimes drop different weapons and armor in addition to gold coins and herbs.
Mutated Bloodvelds drop blood runes at a higher rate than their regular counterparts. Just like most monsters in Catacombs of Kourend, they also drop the universal ancient shard and the dark totem pieces. Additionally, they drop crystal shards in the Iorwerth Dungeon.
Superior Slayer Monster:
You can buy the “Bigger and Badder” unlock for 150 points which increases your chances of spawning a superior monster every time you kill a normal one. You can then kill the superior monster to get superior rewards. You get 2900 and 4100 Slayer XPs by defeating the Insatiable Bloodveld and the Insatiable Mutated Bloodveld respectively.
If you are a fan of elite cryptic clues, you can get one by killing a bloodveld that says: “You’ll get Licked”.
More OSRS Quests: